BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] NFS mount filled backuppc partition, need help recovering

2010-04-16 07:51:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] NFS mount filled backuppc partition, need help recovering
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 07:48:44 -0400
Hi all,

I shot myself in the foot, and need to pick your brains about how to recover. My backup machine has a 500GB drive using LVM for my backup partition. I managed to fill it up. Currently, backups are not running (which makes me nervous), and the backuppc partition on this machine is at:

/dev/mapper/vg01-backuppc
                     488367552 485798240   2569312 100% /media/backuppc

I have a machine, my workstation (defiant), that I has a bunch of stuff on it in /media/archive. The backup is about 250 GB before pooling and compression. Well, I have been slowly migrating data from /media/archive to another machine which now has a 1.5 TB drive. All well and good, except that without thinking about backups, I nfs mounted the filesystem to which I am migrating stuff from defiant. I mounted it under /media/archive, so when the last full backup ran on defiant, it filled the filesystem on the backup host.

I got an email from the Backuppc Genie, and started clearing some old backups. After (I assume) Backuppc_nightly ran, I am still at 100%. I started digging in to see why the filesystem was still full. In the /media/backuppc/pc/defiant directory, there were two large directories,

# du -sh *
219G    869
210G    944

However, BackupPC_delete only shows backup number 869:

# BackupPC_delete -c defiant -l
BackupNumber 869 - full-Backup from 2010-01-23

and the web interface shows the same. Only 869.

Can I delete the 944 directory without adverse effects? If not, what is the best way to free up this drive space?

Also, I have another 120GB of free space in another volume group. Is there a way to integrate that into the backup filesystem? With all the hard links, I wasn't sure how best to allocate the space.

/dev/mapper/vg00-archive
                     156962116     32840 156929276   1% /media/archive

Unfortunately, since I use LUKS encryption on the drives, spanning a VG across two drives is contraindicated. (It decrypts the first drive, but not the second, so the volume group can't open.) Can I still use the 150GB on vg00-archive in /media/backuppc?

Thanks,
--b