BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using BackupPC to backup virtual hard discs

2010-02-19 14:04:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using BackupPC to backup virtual hard discs
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:46:04 -0500
Mike Bydalek <mbydalek AT compunetconsulting DOT com> wrote on 02/19/2010
12:39:29 PM:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM, John Moorhouse
> <john.moorhouse AT 3jays.me DOT uk> wrote:
> > I'm happily using backupPC to backup a number of machine within
> our home network, I'm wondering what will happen if I use it to
> backup the file on the host machine that is the virtual disc for a
> number of virtual box VM, will it have to backup the whole file each
> run (they are rather large) or is it capable of only copying those
> bits of the file that have changed ?
> >
> > Basically I'm after suggestions of 'best practice' in this situation
>
> An image is exactly that, a binary image.  The best thing would be use
> BackupPC to connect to the actually Virtual Host and back that up.

Actually, there is plenty of reason to do both:  use BackupPC to back up
at the guest level (so that I can restore a (e.g.) single file), *and* to
back up the VM images (so that I can rapidly recover from a disaster).
There is no "best":  they're both very valuable.

Of course, I only keep a *couple* of copies of VM images around (they take
too much space!), but the pooling of BackupPC allows me to keep many
months worth of backups around...

Tim Massey