BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using BackupPC to backup virtual hard discs

2010-02-19 14:03:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using BackupPC to backup virtual hard discs
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:44:02 -0500
John Moorhouse <john.moorhouse AT 3jays.me DOT uk> wrote on 02/19/2010 12:11:45
PM:

> I'm happily using backupPC to backup a number of machine within our
> home network, I'm wondering what will happen if I use it to backup
> the file on the host machine that is the virtual disc for a number
> of virtual box VM, will it have to backup the whole file each run
> (they are rather large) or is it capable of only copying those bits
> of the file that have changed ?
>
> Basically I'm after suggestions of 'best practice' in this situation

First of all, backing up VM files directly without coordination from the
VM system (e.g. snapshots, etc.) is highly likely to end up with corrupted
VM files.  I leave determining the correct way of doing this up to you.

Regarding BackupPC:  it depends on the transfer method you use.  The
answer is to use rsync/rsyncd:  only the deltas will be copied across the
network.  However, no matter how you transfer them, a completely new copy
of every file that's changed (and that's highly likely to be nearly all of
them) will be made on the backup server.

Tim Massey