BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Encrypting BackupPC TopDir

2010-02-18 04:57:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Encrypting BackupPC TopDir
From: Eric Persson <eric AT persson DOT tm>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:28:53 +0100
Les Mikesell wrote:
> tribat wrote:
>> Well the thing is I already have a RAID-5 array set up without LVM. It's
>> just one huge ext3 filesystem, and thats the way I like it. I don't really
>> like the idea of splitting the available disk space cause I like having one
>> massive filesystem that can offer me all the unused space on the device when
>> needed. If the device is split into multiple partitions then also the unused
>> space is gonna be splitted.
>>
>> So that's why I would really like the EncFS to work. I've done all my
>> testing with the default EncFS settings so that would mean "External
>> Chaining" has been disabled.
>
> If you aren't running any other web sites it might work to run httpd as the
> backuppc user - and change ownership on any other files it needs.

If tribat is running multiple sites, a simple solution would be to use
apache-mpm-itk( http://mpm-itk.sesse.net/ ) and set the backuppc user on
the virtualhost running the backuppc webgui. I'm not 100% sure it works
with the cgi, but it works with mod_php so fairly good chances, and
better than something like suexec.

/eric - new to the list, but mostly reading others posts ;)