BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Encrypting BackupPC TopDir

2010-02-15 18:03:12
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Encrypting BackupPC TopDir
From: tribat <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:32:41 -0500
Would be cool to get the BackupPC TopDir on an encrypted container so I could
backup machines that are running an encrypted OS.

I found out that dm_crypt can be used between a loop mounted FS container to
encrypt all the data in that container, there's just one problem, the size of
the container isn't dynamic. So as the backup space requirements change you
would need to manually shrink and grow the container and the filesystem in it.
I don't want that.

The only dynamic crypto container solution I found was EncFS, it seems to be
the perfect tool for the job. I tried and tried and tried on my Debian Lenny
but I just couldn't get the TopDir to work on an EncFS mount residing on an
ext3 partition.

EncFS has a command line argument '--public' that is supposed to make the mount
act as a normal multiuser mount, well it doesn't work. My backuppc user gets
Permission Denied when trying to create new files. And I've checked that the
filesystem permissions allowed writing for user backuppc.

Now when I do the default EncFS single user mount while logged in as user
backuppc, the BackupPC 3.1.0 daemon starts all happy, but the WebUI refuses to
connect to the daemon for some reason.

Has anyone got EncFS to work with BackupPC? Are there any other solutions I
might wanna consider?