BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] experiences with very large pools?

2010-02-15 10:14:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] experiences with very large pools?
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:13:14 +0100
Hi,

I'm faced with the growing storage demands in my department. In the
near future we will need several hundred TB. Mostly large files. ATM
we already have 80 TB of data with gets backed up to tape.

Providing the primary storage is not the big problem. My biggest
concern is the backup of the data. One solution would be using a
NetApp solution with snapshots. On the other hand is this a very
expensive solution, the data will be written once, but then only read
again. Short: it should be a cheap solution, but the data should be
backed up. And it would be nice if we could abandon tape backups...

My idea is to use some big RAID 6 arrays for the primary data, create
LUNs in slices of max. 10 TB with XFS filesystems.

Backuppc would be ideal for backup, because of the pool feature (we
already use backuppc for a smaller amount of data).

Has anyone experiences with backuppc and a pool size of >50 TB? I'm
not sure how well this will work. I see that backuppc needs 45h to
backup 3,2 TB of data right now, mostly small files.

I don't like very large filesystems, but I don't see how this will
scale with either multiple backuppc server and smaller filesystems
(well, more than one server will be needed anyway, but I don't want to
run 20 or more server...) or (if possible) with multiple backuppc
instances on the same server, each with a own pool filesystem.

So, anyone using backuppc in such an environment?

Ralf