BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC not cleaning out cpool.

2010-02-11 07:07:53
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC not cleaning out cpool.
From: Joseph Holland <joseph.holland AT kepak DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:53:33 +0000
We are having a problem with many of our BackupPC servers in our company
at the moment.  We are running Debian Lenny and BackupPC 3.1.0.  The
data volumes since we upgraded to this version have seemed to just be
filling up at a constant rate.

The web interface is saying that the pool is 136.98GB but when you do a
"du -smh" on the topdir "/var/data/backuppc" it returns 543GB used.
We have the topdir mounted as /var/data/backuppc and symlinked to
/var/lib/backuppc.  The filesystem that the topdir resides on is JFS.
I've double checked the permissions on the topdir and sub-directories.

I have searched through the backuppc-users archive and have tried the
fixes mentioned here:

and here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg09902.html
But to no avail.

When I run the BackupPC_nightly script as the backuppc user with the
args "0 255" I get the expected output.

$ ./BackupPC_nightly 0 255

Here's some of the output from that command.  There's nothing in the
stats for the pool and the cpool stats ONLY work when line 82 of the
Lib.pm "$IODirentOk" is set to 0 (I know this is due to issue using
IODirent and certain filesystems).
BackupPC_stats 253 = pool,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
BackupPC_stats 254 = pool,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
BackupPC_stats 255 = pool,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
BackupPC_stats 0 = cpool,553,18,192124,58280,0,0,2,1,0,157,3539
BackupPC_stats 1 = cpool,512,17,605328,375780,0,0,1,1,0,43,6530
BackupPC_stats 2 = cpool,553,17,249388,28828,0,0,1,1,0,253,10237

But nothing seems to be being deleted when the script completes.

I tried running the script with "perl -w" and get back the following two
lines in between every line of the normal output.  So:

$ perl -w ../BackupPC_nightly 0 255

Here's some of the output from that command:

Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 487.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 528.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 487.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 528.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 487.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 528.
BackupPC_stats 254 = cpool,546,17,168344,14688,0,0,0,0,0,115,874742

This is what's on line 487 of the Lib.pm:
     from_to($path, "utf8", $need->{charsetLegacy})
                         if ( $need->{charsetLegacy} ne "" );
     return if ( !opendir(my $fh, $path) );
     if ( $IODirentOk ) {
         @entries = sort({ $a->{inode} <=> $b->{inode} } readdirent($fh));
         map { $_->{type} = 0 + $_->{type} } @entries;   # make type numeric
     } else {
         @entries = map { { name => $_} } readdir($fh);
     }

and this is what's on line 528:
     if ( $need->{charsetLegacy} ne "" ) {
         for ( my $i = 0 ; $i < @entries ; $i++ ) {
             from_to($entries[$i]{name}, $need->{charsetLegacy}, "utf8");
         }
     }
     return \@entries;
}

I know it's got something to do with the IODirent, I'm just not sure of
what or the fix.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents
of this information is strictly prohibited. The Company accepts no
liability for the content of this e-mail, or for the consequences of any
actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that
information is subsequently confirmed in writing. The Company accepts no
liability for the damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

author and do not necessarily represent those of The Company. Employees
are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to
infringe or authorize any infringement of copyright or any other legal
right by email communications. Any such communication is contrary to
company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual
concerned. The Company will not accept any liability in respect of such
communication.

No employee or agent is authorised to enter into any legally binding
Sale or Purchase Contract on behalf of The Company with another party
unless and until The Company has issued either a formal Sales
Confirmation or Purchase Contract (as appropriate).  Any confirmation of
a sale or purchase transaction by e-mail only shall not become legally
binding on The Company unless and until it has also issued a formal Sale
Confirmation or Purchase Contract (as appropriate).

CONSIDER OUR ENVIRONMENT. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO ONLY PRINT THIS EMAIL IF
ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY

believed to be clean.