BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto Archiving of hosts

2010-02-09 10:05:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto Archiving of hosts
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:01:59 -0500
Michael Osburn <michael.osburn AT echostar DOT com> wrote on 02/08/2010
06:42:34
PM:

> I am looking for a way to automatically archive my oldest full
> backups to a different mount point. The goal is to have fairly
> recent backups stored off onto a SAN device, then remove the oldest
> backup. I have looked at the archive host option, but this would
> require a lot of manual intervention as we would need to select the
> backups some time during the week and then letting the fulls age away.

Is there a reason you're moving the *oldest*?  The newest would be very
easy.  The oldest slightly more difficult.

The archive command accepts negative numbers for the backup number.  So,
to get the most recent, simply use "-1".  For the oldest, use the number
of fulls plus the number of incrementals.  Of course, if you haven't yet
done enough backups to get that far yet, that won't work.  That's the
"slightly more difficult" part...  :)

I have a cron script that I run once a week to archive the latest backup
to a removable hard drive.  Let me know if you'd like to see it.  It's
really pretty simple, though.  It doesn't do as much error checking as I'd
like (like making sure the removable drive is mounted properly), but the
archive part works perfectly, thanks to BackupPC.

Tim Massey