BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Thinking aloud about backup rotation

2010-01-27 10:22:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Thinking aloud about backup rotation
From: "Nigel Kendrick" <support-lists AT petdoctors.co DOT uk>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:40:24 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Tino Schwarze [mailto:backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de]
Sent: 27 January 2010 11:27
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:33:48AM -0000, PD Support wrote:

There is an easier solution: Just don't name the files by weekday -
backup into the same file every day like "xyz_db.bak". Then you are free
a) copy it somewhere else on the server with a weekday name (and it
doesn't need to be backed up there)
b) just rely on BackupPC for restores

Why would you want to keep one week's worth of backups on the server
itself if BackupPC keeps those backups anyway?

HTH,

Tino.

Hi Tino - I'm just really thinking out loud about options. Local, daily, ZIP
backups will be handy for minor issues as there will be 30+ sites spread
over much of the southern half of the UK, backed up to 5 regional
Linux-based servers. Restoring from a local file (via remote access) will be
quicker than getting the data back to site through ADSL or by car/courier.

We already create a generically-named .bak file and back it up via BackupPC,
but I can see circumstances where the rotation feature might be useful.