BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Replacing dead backup drive

2010-01-26 16:42:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Replacing dead backup drive
From: Dan Smisko <dan AT balanced DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:40:30 -0500
Yes, only the backup data (pool, cpool, etc) was on the dead drive.  The
config is in /etc/BackupPC.
I guess I will try to re-create the backup directories and try another
backup.

Certainly a RAID is worth considering, but the next question is what to
put on a RAID drive.
A dead root drive would not be much fun either.  My preference would be
software RAID
for portability, but I don't know about performance.  Does software RAID
work on a Linux
root drive?

Thanks again for your help.

Dan Smisko

Les Mikesell wrote:

The answer to this is going to depend on how you installed originally
and where the configuration lives.  If the only things on the dead drive
were the pool/cpool/trash/pc directories you can probably re-create them
(or that might happen by itself as long as the mount point is writable
by backuppc).

This would be a good opportunity to think about using a RAID mirror for
the replacement, though.