BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Replacing dead backup drive

2010-01-22 18:02:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Replacing dead backup drive
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:00:36 -0600
On 1/22/2010 4:24 PM, Dan Smisko wrote:

> I have a BackupPC 3.0.0 system that has been running well for some time,
> but the backup drive
> has just failed.  I have some replacement hardware that I'm looking at,
> but what I
> would like to do immediately is to plug in a replacement drive and
> continue with the
> current setup.  At this point resuming backups is more important than
> trying to retrieve
> (possibly unrecoverable) old data.
>
> Is there is simple way to do that?  Can I just plug in a
> new drive in and everything will proceed merrily along?  If not, can I
> manually initialize
> the new drive? Failing that, what is the quickest procedure to get the
> current backup
> system back up and running.  I apologize if there's already a document
> for this, please
> point me to it.

The answer to this is going to depend on how you installed originally
and where the configuration lives.  If the only things on the dead drive
were the pool/cpool/trash/pc directories you can probably re-create them
(or that might happen by itself as long as the mount point is writable
by backuppc).

This would be a good opportunity to think about using a RAID mirror for
the replacement, though.