BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] zfs dedupe test

2009-12-22 00:24:28
Subject: [BackupPC-users] zfs dedupe test
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:21:25 -0700
an update to my zfs dedupe test.

opensolaris-dev build 129 (first build to enable dedupe)

I create a zfs volume that I export with iSCSI, then did a gigabit crossover cable to my test backuppc server running ubuntu 9.04.  I mount the iscsi volume to /var/lib/backuppc.

let just say that this has to be seen to be believed. zfs dedupe totally pegs my cpu and used up the 4GB of ram in my test "SAN" box BUT it drastically improves write performance for files with the same blocks as other files(which is a lot).  The different between a ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04 disk is only about 30MB with block level dedupe.  Because the system does this dedupe in-stream, it doesnt have to write the 'extra' data and can complete the process in a hurry.  I can copy a disk image of ubuntu 9.04 is litterally 2 seconds because the dedupe is done online so it almost feels like creating a hardlink at the expense of pegging the CPU.  I have a dual core 2Ghz opteron and I can see the need for a quad core xeon but the benefits look to be huge.

If you have some hardware lying around I encourage you to test out zfs dedupe.  nexenta core3 alpha2 and opensolaris b129 both have it and it is very nice.

I also tested the opensolaris cifs server joined to AD sharing a deduped disk and that works very well also, your AD users and ACLs are handle well by opensolaris.