BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental backup question

2009-12-20 18:28:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental backup question
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:26:26 -0600
Mester wrote:
>>> I use backuppc on a Debian Linux 5.0 server for backing up another
>>> Debian Linux 5.0 server over the internet with tar over ssh.
>>> The first full backup is created succesfully but the incremental backups
>>> alway make full backup. What could be the reason of this?
>>>
>> Are you going by the backup summary showing what files are new?  The browser
>> view fills in the files from the previous full.
>
> I can see it from the backup size and the content on the backup
> directories. The size of the incremental backup is nearly the same as
> the full backup (about 50 GB).

The files chosen for tar incrementals should be chosen entirely by timestamps
with the cut-off being slightly earlier than the previous full run.  If you
have
large, changing files like databases, or mailboxes, or growing logfiles, they
will be copied each time, and if you had files less than an hour old at the
time
of the full, they might be copied again in subsequent incrementals.

If you are concerned with the bandwidth used, you might want to switch to the
rsync method in any case.