BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental backup question

2009-12-21 19:44:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental backup question
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:42:07 +0100
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2009-12-21 14:58:03 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
incremental backup question]:
> Mester wrote:
> > My TarClientCmd is:
> > '$sshPath -q -x -l backup -o PreferredAuthentications=publickey $host
> > /usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C LANG=en_EN /usr/bin/sudo $tarPath -c -v -f - -C
> > $shareName+ --totals'
>
> Your extra sudo might make an extra level of shell escaping necessary.

no, it doesn't.

> What about $Conf{TarIncrArgs}?

That is more interesting (because this is where the '+' might be missing). To
put it more general: if you want to avoid this debugging ping-pong, provide
some relevant information (like your configuration settings and log file
extracts, for example). Even if we *can* sometimes give terse answers to
terse questions, you probably wouldn't be asking the questions if this type
of answer were of any help to you (the documentation would explain everything
sufficiently in this case (not meaning to imply that it's terse)).

In particular, describe your problem, not your analysis of it. We want to
concentrate on fixing problems, not analyses.

> Maybe the space in the date string is
> getting parsed as a separator by the extra shell layer.

That is what I was thinking. It would, however, most probably lead to tar
complaining about a non-existant file and redundant backups of only a small
part of the files. I'm still in favour of clock skew. Or maybe a TarIncrArgs
without a --newer ;-).

Regards,
Holger