BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow link options

2009-12-18 15:48:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow link options
From: Kameleon <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:45:27 -0600
I was able to get a full backup on 3 of the 4 servers. Two of them I was able to take the backuppc machine to the location and the third it was small enough to be able to complete over the T1. However we have one remaining remote location that has approximately 309GB of data that needs backing up. This initial full will take anywhere in the range of 10-20 DAYS according to my numbers.

However, we do have an rsync of that server on another in-house server. It is a complete rsync minus a few directories like /proc /var etc. So we don't have to take the backuppc machine 3 hours away, does anyone know if it would be possible to somehow setup backuppc to use the complete existing in-house rsync as the base for the initial full backup?

The setup on the rsync backup is that the entire backup is stored in /server/servername. Since backuppc stores the files in relation to the root directory how would I move the files from /var/lib/backuppc/pc/rsync-server/0/f%2fserver%2fremoteserver to /var/lib/backuppc/pc/remoteserver/0/f%2f? Should it be as simple as moving the folders? Or is this even possible?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net> wrote:
Kameleon wrote:
> I have a few remote sites I am wanting to backup using backuppc.
> However, two are on slow DSL connections and the other 2 are on T1's.
> I did some math and roughly figured that the DSL connections, having a
> 256k upload, could do approximately 108MB/hour of transfer. With these
> clients having around 65GB each that would take FOREVER!!!
>
> I am able to take the backuppc server to 2 of the remote locations
> (the DSL ones) and put it on the LAN with the server to be backed up
> to get the initial full backup. What I am wondering is this: What do
> others do with slow links like this? I need a full backup at least
> weekly and incrimentals nightly. Is there an easy way around this?

The feasibility of this depends entirely on the rate of change of the
backup data.  Once you get the initial full, rsync backups only transfer
changes.  Have a look at the documentation
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#backup_basics) for
more details.

> Thanks in advance.

Chris