BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Unexpected call BackupPC::Xfer::RsyncFileIO->unlink(...)

2009-12-18 15:38:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Unexpected call BackupPC::Xfer::RsyncFileIO->unlink(...)
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:36:48 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 13:11:37 -0500 on Monday, November 2, 2009:
 > Unexpected call
 > BackupPC::Xfer::RsyncFileIO->unlink(cygwin/usr/share/man/man3/addnwstr.3x.gz)
 >
 > I encountered the above error in my backup logs - repeated hundreds of
 > time though all interestingly only on different files in my
 > C:\cygwin\usr\share\man\man3 directory.
 >

 > Now for context, this was part of a full backup after I reinstalled
 > Windows on a laptop. I had been testing BackupPC before so I had
 > interrupted BackupPC early in the backup several times before (and I
 > believe the cygwin directory is placed early in the backup based on
 > alphabetical order).
 >
 > Also, after interrupting a very partial backup, I noticed that
 > BackupPC_link was running. So perhaps, this is 'undoing' a
 > BackupPC_link operation that ran on a partial backup?
 >
 > In any case, I am curious to know what causes the error and what does
 > it mean?
 > Is it an error on my system (in which case maybe I should be looking
 > at my system) or is it an error in backuppc?
 >

 > Note from the below quoted thread from 2005, Craig claims that the error is
 > benign, but doesn't explain how/why.

Well I just upgraded and reinstalled Fedora on  my Linux server and
ran a new full backup. Again I noticed dozens of these type
errors. All of them appear to be symbolic links but the links both in
the new full and in the previous full appear to be intact. Also, this
occurred on only about 40 out of many hundreds of symbolic links on my
system.

I am curious about what could be causing this situation that seems to
be:
1. Limited to symlinks
2. Seems to only occur after a change to the system (presumably rsync
   is seeing the same link with a different inode)
3. Only occurs on some links.

Any thoughts?