BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Matching files against the pool remotely.

2009-12-18 05:28:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Matching files against the pool remotely.
From: Malik Recoing. <malik AT lawek DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:22:50 +0000 (UTC)
Hello,

I'm trying to optimize BackupPC for use over internet with a lot of client (say
100 per server). Clients run rsyncd and are connected via dsl of variable
speed.

Many discussions in this list helped me a lot. But I can't figure out one thing
:
Does BackupPC use rsync features to skip a file allready in the pool _before_ it
uploaded it ? Or does he need to upload it first and then the file is matched
against the pool, eventualy replaced by a hard link ?

In the first case this will save bandwidth and disk, in the second case only
disk space. Is BackupPC able to match a file remotely ?

The Holy Doc says ( Barratt:Desing:operation:2 ): "it checks each file in the
backup to see if it is identical to an existing file from any previous backup of
any PC. It does this without needed to write the file to disk."

But it doesn't say "without the need to upload the file in memory".

I know a file will be skiped if it is present in the previous backup, but what
appens if the file have been backed up for another host ?

Thank you for your enlightenments.

Malik.