BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync

2009-12-16 16:49:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:46:50 -0800
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 03:13:23PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >
> > They're just not *doing* anything.  Nothing has errored out; BackupPC
> > thinks everything is fine.
> >
> > Some of the places this is happening are very small backups that
> > usually take a matter of minutes.
> >
> > Suddenly this isn't looking like a networking problem anymore; the
> > networking appears to be just fine.  This is looking like a BackupPC
> > problem.  My version, by the way, is 3.1.0.  It's like at some point
> > BackupPC forgot that it was supposed to be trying to back anything
> > up.
>
> This sounds vaguely familiar, perhaps like:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg00321.html
> but I don't know if that had a resolution.  It doesn't seem common, though.

That part turns out to be Extremely Lame: it was adding "-vv" to
ssh.  Drop the -vs and put the -q back in, and that part gets
better.  Which means I'm sort of back to the drawing board.  I'll
try with ServerAliveInterval=60 and -q and let y'all know.

> > The backup always stops doing anything right after lstat of the
> > last file in /pictures/agate/shared/pictures/0216/2987/.
> > According to ls -U, /pictures/agate/shared/pictures/0216/ is the
> > last directory in /pictures/agate/shared/pictures/, and
> > /pictures/agate/shared/pictures/0216/2987/ is the last directory
> > in /pictures/agate/shared/pictures/0216/.  Now, there are other
> > directories in /pictures/agate/shared/ that ls -U after
> > pictures/, but with rsync 3.0 on the client, I'm assuming those
> > are handled in parallel.
>
> I don't think that's true.  Backuppc is going to insist on
> protocol 28 which, I think, means it has to get the entire
> directory tree before starting the comparison.

Then it's even weirder.  :)  But see above.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something