BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync

2009-12-16 07:52:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 06:50:39 -0600
On 12/16 06:38 , Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 12/15 05:42 , Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > The other one isn't even close to finishing, as far as I can tell.
> > In the face of it taking nigh-on 5 hours just to *walk the tree*,
> > from the local host, I haven't been focusing on little things like
> > ssh encryption choices too much.  :)
>
> So you're convinced the speed bottleneck is firmly on the filesystem/disk
> array?
>
> I've noticed that changing the SSH cipher helps substantially sometimes; but
> sometimes (often?) not much. It's a worthwhile optimization when it works
> tho. I think I've seen 10-15% improvement in backup times.
>
> As for your link issues; the suggestion that it may be a keepalive problem
> reminded me of this tool:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/openssh-watchdog
>
> It may be worth trying that.

According to the main page for the openssh-watchdog:
http://www.sc.isc.tohoku.ac.jp/~hgot/sources/openssh-watchdog.html

It looks like Debian has a patch that provides this functionality already.
Down at the bottom of the page it lists other tools with similar
functionality, including:

"OpenSSH package from Debian   (`ProtocolKeepAlive' option)"

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator