BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync

2009-12-16 14:28:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:26:12 -0800
Sorry, a couple of things I forgot.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:15:37AM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> Anyways, the one that has the problem consistently *also* always has
> it in exactly the same place; I was watching it in basically every
> way possible, so here comes the debugging stuff.  As will become
> obvious, I probably need to turn the ssh debugging down and the
> BackupPC debugging up.

I take that back; I've got:

$Conf{XferLogLevel} = 2;

and there's nothing from BackupPC is the XferLog around or after the
time it stopped working.  I'm going to set it higher anyways if
that's likely to help; what's a good value?

Also, no significant CPU activity on either side, so it's not like
rsync is sitting there contemplating what files to transfer.

Just for interest, memory usage on the client:

21663 root      15   0  436m 402m  640 S    0  6.6 198:21.99 /usr/bin/rsync
--server --sender ...

That's rsync 3.0 *without* --hard-links; a non-trivial burden on a
client machine.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something