BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync

2009-12-14 19:38:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] An idea to fix both SIGPIPE and memory issues with rsync
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:28:43 -0800
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:17:01PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 10:12:28 -0800 on Monday, December 14, 2009:
>  > On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 07:57:10AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>  > >
>  > > You can, however, explicitly break the runs at top-level
>  > > directory boundaries and mount points if you have a problem
>  > > with the size.
>  >
>  > That doesn't always work; it certainly doesn't work in my case.
>  > Millions of files scattered unevenly around a single file
>  > system; I don't even know where the concentrations are because
>  > it takes so long to run du/find on this filesystem, and it
>  > degrades performance in a way that makes the client upset.
>  >

> I wonder how common your use case is where the files are scattered
> so unevenly, so unpredictably, and in such a dynamically changing
> manner that you can't make a dent in the complexity by subdividing
> the share into smaller pieces. If the system is so dynamic and
> unpredictable, then perhaps the more robust solution is to see
> whether the data storage can be organized better...

We're a hosting company; these are backups for clients.  We can't
enforce that sort of shift.

Since I've got two clients with exactly the same issue (file trees
in the millions of files, that take ten hours or more just to run a
"find" on, let alone du), though, I'm inclined to think that it's
not *that* uncommon.

I find it more than a little odd that you are telling me "OMG
HARDLINKS!" on the one hand, and "subdivide the share" on the other,
since by definition subdivided shares break hard links.  What's up
with that?  (not intended confrontationally, just confused)

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something