BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Question about keep count

2009-12-15 11:40:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Question about keep count
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:38:10 -0600
On 12/15 10:16 , Kameleon wrote:
> I am working on a backuppc solution to allow backups to be kept for about 3
> years while having a minimal impact on disk space. I was following the
> directions located here:
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html#Schedule for the
> schedule. However, The question I have is this: Would I put the Incremental
> portion in the $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} or  $Conf{IncrLevels} like they state?

Don't worry about keeping incrementals; keep fulls.
$Conf{FullKeepCnt}
is the variable you're looking to configure.

To keep backups for 3 years, with minimal space; one simplistic approach is
to keep 16-week intervals.
3*52 = 156 weeks in 3 years.
156/16 = 9.75, which we'll round up to 10.

presuming you still have the default
$Conf{FullPeriod} = 6.97;
(1 week between fulls)

set:
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [4, 0, 0, 0, 10];

To have 4 backups at 1 week intervals, and 10 backups at 16 week intervals.

Read the $Conf{FullKeepCnt} explanatory commentary in config.pl for more
detail on how exponential expiration of full backups works. you may want 8
week intervals; or even 32 week intervals.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator