BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] a slightly different question about rsync for offsite backups

2009-12-09 18:04:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] a slightly different question about rsync for offsite backups
From: Omid <backuppc AT omidia DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:01:27 -0800
indeed, these both seem like really good ways to approach this!

i would definitely stop the backuppc service beforehand, and start it again afterwards.  i know this doesn't stop backups in progress, but it's not a lot of computers, and by 3 am, all that needs to be done is done.  and the rsync to external usb only takes a couple hours.

perhaps i should be adding the switch that deletes files that are no longer present as well?  hmmm...

i do understand that this may stop working at some point, but right now, the pool is only a few hundred gig's, running on a machine with 2 gig's of ram, and tests that i've done haven't had a problem.  and i don't see the pool growing much beyond that.

we'll see how it goes!

thanks.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

Tino Schwarze wrote on 2009-12-09 20:50:35 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] a slightly different question about rsync for?offsite backups]:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:57:13AM -0800, Omid wrote:
> [...]
> > if the usb drive does not mount for whatever reason (either because it
> > hasn't been plugged in, or for another reason), the copy is going to go to
> > the folder that's there, which is going to fill up the native drive very
> > quickly.
> >
> > how can i avoid this?
> [...]
>
> Just create a file called "THIS_IS_THE_USB_DRIVE" on the drive itself,

... or a file "THIS_IS_THE_HOST_DRIVE" in the directory you are mounting to
(and invert the testing logic). Or, of course, read mountpoint(1) and do
something like

   mountpoint -q /mnt/usb && rsync -aHPp /data/ /mnt/usb/data/

It all depends on what you want to make easy and what you want to guard
against.

All of that said, remember that rsyncing a BackupPC pool doesn't scale well
and may fail at some point in the future. Also, syncing a live pool will
probably not lead to a consistent copy. Depending on what you might be using
the copy for, that may or may not be a problem (restoring from backups
completed before starting the copy will probably work - though parallel chain
renumbering might mess things up (don't really know), but I wouldn't recommend
using it (or a copy of it) to continue backing up to).

Regards,
Holger