BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] making a mirror image of the backup pc disk

2009-12-09 18:11:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] making a mirror image of the backup pc disk
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Pat Rice <patrick.j.rice AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:09:37 +0100
Hi,

Pat Rice wrote on 2009-12-09 11:04:37 +0000 [[BackupPC-users] making a mirror
image of the backup pc disk]:
> [...]
> What I would like to know, or if any on had any experience of:
> Making a mirror or the backup disk:

well, yes, it is an FAQ, but in short:

> Should I do a dd?

Yes, in your situation definitely.

> or would a copy be sufficient ?

Maybe, but not certain. You don't want to take the chance. If your pool is
reasonably sized, it will take longer (possibly by orders of magnitude; in
fact, it might not complete before running out of resources) than a 'dd'.
Only a small pool on a large disk would be faster to cp/rsync/tar/... than
to dd.

> or will I have to worry about hard links that need to be kept ?

Yes.

Regards,
Holger