BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] a slightly different question about rsync for offsite backups

2009-12-09 14:55:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] a slightly different question about rsync for offsite backups
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:50:35 +0100
On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:57:13AM -0800, Omid wrote:

[...]

> the idea is to schedule an rsync command to an external drive say every
> wednesday morning at 3 am, instruct the office to plug the drive in on
> tuesday, and to replace it on thursday with next week's drive.
>
> i have the rsync command down pat.  i'm using:
>
> rsync -aHPp /data/ /mnt/usb/data/
>
> i've realized that the trailing backslash is important <smile>.  to be
> consistent anyways.
>
> i've gotten the cronjob down pat, including the mount, stop and umount
> commands.  what i'm having problems with is this.
>
> if the usb drive does not mount for whatever reason (either because it
> hasn't been plugged in, or for another reason), the copy is going to go to
> the folder that's there, which is going to fill up the native drive very
> quickly.
>
> how can i avoid this?

> i've tried the --no-dir command in rsync, hoping that it would prevent rsync
> from happening if the destination folder doesn't exist.  but it doesn't seem
> to work.
>
> the only other option i seem to have is to create a script that confirms
> that the mount has occurred before executing the rsync script.  got any
> idea's?

Just create a file called "THIS_IS_THE_USB_DRIVE" on the drive itself,
then let your cronjob check for it like this:

[ -f /mnt/usb/THIS_IS_THE_USB_DRIVE ] && rsync -aHPp /data/ /mnt/usb/data/

Of course, a script would be suitable - it might mail somebody, then
"while [ ! -f /mnt/usb/THIS_IS_THE_USB_DRIVE ] ; do sleep 1m ; done"
to wait for the drive to appear.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de