BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique

2009-11-24 13:46:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:41:47 -0600
Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>
>>> I do the shutdown for two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1) My system partition lives on the raid as well as the data, so I have
>>> to shut down to keep everything consistent.
>>> 2) My sata controller doesn't recognize hot swaps as far as I have been
>>> able to determine.
>>>
>> Try a 'dmesg' before and after inserting the drive.  If you see the
>> drive detected, you should be able to start a sync without shutting
>> down.  If you swap one out and in at the same time, you should have a
>> third one in the offsite rotation so they aren't all in the same place
>> at the same time.
>>

> Is there a way to avoid the shutdown even with the root partition
> mounted on the raid?

You don't have to shut down to add the drive, but if you want the
filesystem to be clean, I think you do have to shut down to remove it.
If you don't, it would basically be like the machine crashed and you'd
probably recover anyway but it would be safer to have a clean unmount
which you can't do as long as anything has files open.

> Next time I do a swap, I'll bring the system back up with 2 drives and
> then try to hot-add the third and watch dmesg.  If I see the drive
> detected, what do I need to do to get udev to create the device file
> (CentOS 4)?

I'm not sure about Centos4, but I think it should work.  With Centos 5,
it automatically adds the next-available scsi device name and detects
the partitions.  And it releases those names when you physically remove
the drive.

    lesmiksell AT gmail DOT com