BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique

2009-11-20 16:59:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:56:50 -0500
Alexander Fortin wrote:
> What do you suggest as a physical storage architecture with an off-site
> weekly clone? Maybe RAID1 with 2 disks as master and a spare one, to
> synchronize now and then? Or maybe is better something like a RAID1 with
> 2 disks and then some (r)sync tool to get the cloned disk?

The raid 1 setup is what at least a few of us on the list use.  For me,
it works like this:

My filesystem is raid 1 (via md) with 3 disks.  Two of the disks are
internal and one is in an sata hot-swap enclosure.  Whenever I want to
take a backup offsite, I shut down the machine, pull the third drive,
replace it with a new one, and start it back up.  Then I just need to
tell md to rebuild onto the new drive and then take the old one
offsite.  I always have at least two active drives in the raid, so I
don't have to worry about a disk failure during the rebuild.

--
Bowie