BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sudden Error during backup

2009-11-16 09:27:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sudden Error during backup
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:25:42 -0600

> Hello together,
>
> I use BackupPC to backup multiple VMware Virtual Maschines via
> Consolidated Backup's VMDK filesystem mount.
>
> The went well for 6-8 Full/Incr backups, but suddenly I get the
> following error log:
>
> [...]
> Executing DumpPreUserCmd: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l remotecli
> vs4-vcs-01.in.siegnetz.de C:/VCB/scripts/mount_vmdk.cmd ricohadmin
> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient //vs4-vcs-01/ricohadmin_C -W VS4-VCS-01 -U
> remotecli -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -TcN
> /backup/pc/ricohadmin/timeStamp.level0 - /backup /Dokumente\ und\
> Einstellungen /Inetpub /Programme /Ricoh /scriptomatic
> incr backup started back to 2009-11-09 18:04:27  (backup #7) for share
> ricohadmin_C
> Xfer PIDs are now 10514,10513
> Getting files newer than Mon Nov  9 18:04:27 2009
> Domain=[SIEGNETZ-IT] OS=[Windows Server 2003 R2 3790 Service Pack 2]
> Server=[Windows Server 2003 R2 5.2]
> This backup will fail because: tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> Domain=[SIEGNETZ-IT] OS=[Windows Server 2003 R2 3790 Service Pack 2]
> Server=[Windows Server 2003 R2 5.2]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp,
> 0 filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
> Executing DumpPostUserCmd: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l remotecli
> vs4-vcs-01.in.siegnetz.de C:/VCB/scripts/umount_vmdk.cmd ricohadmin
> Got fatal error during xfer (tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> Backup aborted (tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> [...]
>

> What's confusing me, is the logged reason 'NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME',
> because I never changed anything in configuration of BackupPC or the
> machines to backup!
>
> Has anyone an idea?
>
> With best regards
> Stefan Jurisch

The first thing to verify, of course, is that smbclient can connect using
the command line.

If I were a betting person, I would bet that something did, in fact,
change, whether it was intended or not, and could have been one of dozens
of things, including using an automated tool to look at your share
configuration (kcontrol is notorious for this.)  It could also, of course,
be your network itself, so standard diagnostics (ping, for example) should
be applied to your problem.  Something may have tightened up your
firewall, or disrupted your dns resolution.