BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sudden Error during backup

2009-11-16 11:21:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sudden Error during backup
From: Stefan Jurisch <s.jurisch AT siegnetz DOT de>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:17:46 +0100

Hello Michael,

Michael Stowe schrieb:
> If I were a betting person, I would bet that something did, in fact,
> change, whether it was intended or not, and could have been one of dozens
> of things, including using an automated tool to look at your share
> configuration (kcontrol is notorious for this.)  It could also, of course,
> be your network itself, so standard diagnostics (ping, for example) should
> be applied to your problem.  Something may have tightened up your
> firewall, or disrupted your dns resolution.

So far so good. I have checked the most typically known issues before
contacting the list. But after reading your answer, I did all tests
again. In fact, I did indeed dozens of them, but

        - neither DNS has a problem (hosts have entries in our internal
          DNS server *and* /etc/hosts on the backup machine (failback)
        - nor could it be a software linke kcontrol, because I use an
          OpenSUSE 11.1 standard *minimal* installation
        - standard network diagnostics have been run and
          the network itself passed all applied tests
        - firewall is not an issue because all runs within a DMZ

The curious thing is that linux some machines backup still normally, and
the linux machines, secured by the same backup machine, run still as
usual, too.

I personally do not see anything that can be done, so perhaps you have
another tipp that is less "default"? ;-)

With best regards
Stefan "FastEddy" Jurisch

- --

S T E F A N   J U R I S C H