BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Corrupted cpool files on pool filesystem

2009-11-16 09:25:37
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Corrupted cpool files on pool filesystem
From: Justin Guenther <jguenther AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:23:32 -0600
My base pool/cpool directory is on its own filesystem, and that hard
drive has a few bad sectors. It looks like those bad sectors are being
used by some cpool files. I will be replacing this hard drive soon,
and am extracting the old filesystem with ddrescue.

Would it be a bad idea to dump the ddrescue'd image to the new drive
and continue from there?

Basically what I am asking is, if a cpool file is corrupt will new
backups detect this and make a new file in the pool and not link to
the old cpool file, or will the new files being backed up be compared
to the hash of the old cpool file before it became corrupted and be
linked with the corrupted cpool file?

As long as new backups are fine I do not think it matters much that
the old ones are corrupted, if I need to restore them I have offsite
archive files.

I just don't want to have to start over with a completely empty list
of backups, and start over from backup # 0 (for naming collisions with
old offsite archives).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Justin Guenther