BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails after running 8-10 hours

2009-11-10 14:19:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails after running 8-10 hours
From: Shawn Perry <redmopml AT comcast DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:15:08 -0700
Did you use a disk deduplicator on the drive? Is there a directory
with alot of files in it?  How many files are you backing up?

If you have MANY hardlinks on a file system, rsync with the
--hard-links option has a tendency to croak, leaving tar as the best
option.

Dirvish has this same issue.

To answer your question, find a directory or a couple of them that
have a lot of files.  run "ls -l" or "ls -lR" (the latter is
recursive) in that directory.  Look at the output.

sample:

-rw-r--r-- 79 shawn users   37888 2005-12-04 14:36 X-mas list.xls

The first field after the permissions us the number of links to the
data in that file, 79 in this case.  That means there are 79 hard
links to that file.  There will always be at least one.

Shawn