BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails after running 8-10 hours

2009-11-09 19:02:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails after running 8-10 hours
From: Nick Bright <nick.bright AT valnet DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:57:11 -0600
Les Mikesell wrote:
> Nick Bright wrote:
>> I've got a bit of a strange situation. My backuppc server, which
>> successfully backs up a half dozen or so machines, is unable to backup
>> one particular host.
>>
>> This host is configured the same as all of my other hosts which backup
>> successfully, but after running the rsync process for 8 to 10 hours, the
>> backup fails with this entry in the XferLOG:

>> full backup started for directory /
>> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root cpanel /usr/bin/rsync --server
>> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
>> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /
>> Xfer PIDs are now 27778
>> Got remote protocol 1768191091
>> Fatal error (bad version): stdin: is not a tty
>
> I'm not sure it if causes this symptom, but one thing to check is that
> the remote shell for root can't output anything (like a
> message-of-the-day) before starting the specified program.

Thank you for your reply. I checked in to it, and determined that there
isn't anything being output by logging in to the backuppc system and "su
backuppc" then "ssh root@cpanel":

[backuppc@backuppc ~]$ ssh root@cpanel
Last login: Sat Sep 26 16:08:46 2009 from backuppc
root@cpanel [~]#

However, I did find that /etc/motd existed and was empty. I deleted it
to see what would happen on the next backup cycle. SSHing into the
client system under a normal user also does not result in any MOTD's or
warning messages.

  - Nick