BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc server for Windows XP?

2009-10-30 11:06:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc server for Windows XP?
From: "Chris Baker" <cbaker AT intera DOT com>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:03:49 -0500
It's like this. A spoon that you find in your kitchen is designed to be used
as a spoon. If you use it for its intended purpose, then it will probably
last you 50 or 100 years. If you decide to use that spoon to dig holes in
your garden, then the spoon is probably going to break pretty soon. It will
break because you are not using it for its intended purpose.

I have enough issues with BackupPC already, just running it on Linux. I
certainly would not risk running it on a VMWare version of Linux or
soemthing like that. I imagine that it would be quite slow, and who knows
what kind of file corruption would be possible under this scenario. Over the
years, I've seen plenty of backup programs tell me that I had good
backups--then I couldn't restore anything from the backups. When it comes to
backup programs, anything can go wrong. And it often does.

BackupPC was designed and engineered to be run on Linux. That is its
purpose.

If you want to use Windows, then find a backup program that is designed to
run on Windows. There are free ones, ones for under $100, and ones for over
$1000. You have lots of choices.

Chris Baker -- cbaker AT intera DOT com
systems administrator
INTERA -- 512-425-2006