BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd resume of partial backup retransmits many files

2009-10-21 21:11:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd resume of partial backup retransmits many files
From: "Harald Amtmann" <[email protected]>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 02:40:07 +0200
> debian linux running BackupPC 3.1.0, client is Windows XP SP2 with rsync
> 3.0.4 (for more details see below).

> When I retrigger the full backup, a lot of large files are retransmitted

Update: All files are retransmitted: This is a log excerpt of the pc being
backuped:

2009/10/22 02:16:00 [2244] send [192.168.5.9]  .musikproject/musik_u.db
28868608 <f?????????

>>From rsyncs doc this means:
< item transmitted to remote host
f item is a file
? property unknown

To cite from the rsync doc:
"and (3) an unknown attribute replaces each letter with a "?" (this can happen
when talking to an older rsync)"

So I think because of this rsync is retransmitting instead of finding that the
files didn't change. It doesn't even try to checksum altough the logs on the
other side indicate that checksums are sent (see previous mail).

Please help! What is wrong here?

Harald