BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd resume of partial backup retransmits many files

2009-10-14 06:12:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd resume of partial backup retransmits many files
From: "Harald Amtmann" <[email protected]>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:05:52 +0200
> I am trying to backup a machine over a low bandwidth connection. Server is
> debian linux running BackupPC 3.1.0, client is Windows XP SP2 with rsync
> 3.0.4 (for more details see below). I am currently trying to run the initial
> full backup but it got interrupted twice already due to various reasons.
> When I retrigger the full backup, a lot of large files are retransmitted
> even though they have already been uploaded to the server and weren't even
> touched in the meantime.

To clarify: It seems rsync is uploading some of the previously uploaded files
to the server again (see the log for one such a file in my previous mail).
After the upload finished, backuppc determines that the hash is the same,
detects the file to be in the pool already and goes to the next file. It does
this for a whole lot of files. The first backup run was interrupted after about
9 hours. When I restarted it, after about 5 hours it was still
reuploading/rechecking files which have been uploaded in the first run.

Can anyone tell me what _should_ happen in this case? Maybe I didn't understand
the workings of backuppc right and what I see is totally normal.

Thanks