BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs

2009-08-25 13:39:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:36:09 -0500
> 'free' shows:
>               total         used         free       shared      buffers
>   Mem:        30412        22128         8284            0         2428
>  Swap:       500508         1020       499488
> Total:       530920        23148       507772
>
> After launching BackupPC_serverMesg it shows:
>               total         used         free       shared      buffers
>   Mem:        30412        29232         1180            0         2208
>  Swap:       500508         3232       497276
> Total:       530920        32464       498456
>
> Thus,  neither memory nor swap space should be the problem, shouldn't it?

Not sure, this is REALLY lean (as you know) -- I wouldn't be entirely
surprised if a *lot* of swapping is going on, and combining that with a
slow CPU, it may take a very, very long time for some operations to
complete.

> Is there any way to narrow the possible reasons down?

"Hangs" are in many ways trickier than error messages.  Given that the
perl debugger is saying that it hangs essentially where it's trying to
contact the server, I'd speculate that it's not actually hanging, per se,
but spending its time swapping back and forth between BackupPC_serverMsg
and the server it's trying to contact.

How long is it waiting?  Does it seem busy?