BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs

2009-08-25 12:34:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:30:16 -0500
> Hello,
>
> I installed BackupPC on an NSLU2 more or less according to
> http://www.tedcarnahan.com/2009/07/09/installing-backuppc-on-openwrt/

I find this gloriously insane, and I'm actually rather impressed it works
at all.

> When I launch the server daemon, it starts without any error messages.

Really?  That seems unlikely...  is it actually running?  (I'm inclined to
suggest ps ax...)

> But when - according to the Documentation - I try to run:
> BackupPC_serverMesg status info
> it hangs, not showing anything.
>
> Using the Perl debugger, I found out that the script stops at this point:
>
> BackupPC::Lib::ServerConnect(/mnt/usbstick/usr/local/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm:698):
> 698:        sysread($bpc->{ServerFD}, $bpc->{ServerSeed}, 1024);
>
> Any idea what could be the problem?

All kinds of things could be the problem, and you'll have to verify each
one in turn.  Do you have enough swap?  Is anything else running (note
that depending on your version of WRT, and your amount of RAM, you may
need to shut down a lot of other services to get it to work, or you may
simply not have enough RAM)?  Did you manually install and verify all the
missing perl modules?  Did you properly pivot root?

Did configure.pl actually work?