BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs

2009-08-25 13:23:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs
From: Christoph <chrdr AT gmx DOT at>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:18:36 +0200
Am Dienstag, 25. August 2009 18:30:16 schrieb Michael Stowe:

> > I installed BackupPC on an NSLU2 more or less according to
> > http://www.tedcarnahan.com/2009/07/09/installing-backuppc-on-openwrt/
>
> I find this gloriously insane, and I'm actually rather impressed it works
> at all.

That's me: totally insane. And proud of it ;-)

> > When I launch the server daemon, it starts without any error messages.
>
> Really?  That seems unlikely...  is it actually running?  (I'm inclined to
> suggest ps ax...)

ps shows two processes running. One of them is:
/usr/bin/perl /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC -d
the other process's command is not shown entirely, just:
/usr/bin/perl /mnt/usbstick/usr/local/BackupPC/bin/Ba
(= a limitation of Busybox's ps-command)
but according to the logs I assume it must be BackupPC_trashClean.

> > Any idea what could be the problem?
>
> All kinds of things could be the problem, and you'll have to verify each
> one in turn.  Do you have enough swap?  Is anything else running (note
> that depending on your version of WRT, and your amount of RAM, you may
> need to shut down a lot of other services to get it to work, or you may
> simply not have enough RAM)?

'free' shows:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        30412        22128         8284            0         2428
 Swap:       500508         1020       499488
Total:       530920        23148       507772

After launching BackupPC_serverMesg it shows:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        30412        29232         1180            0         2208
 Swap:       500508         3232       497276
Total:       530920        32464       498456

Thus,  neither memory nor swap space should be the problem, shouldn't it?

> Did you manually install and verify all the
> missing perl modules?

I installed all perl modules that openwrt offers, plus the ones needed until
configure.pl worked without any errors.

> Did you properly pivot root?

No, I did not, because unlike Ted Carnahan I installed Openwrt using the
standard method (i.e. on flash memory) and then installed perl, the perl
modules and BackupPC on an usb-stick, creating symlinks for /usr/local,
/var/log/BackupPC, /usr/lib/perl5, /usr/bin/perl, /usr/bin/perl5.10.0 to the
according directories/files on /mnt/usbstick

> Did configure.pl actually work?

After installing the previously missing perl modules: Yes, it did perfectly
well.

Is there any way to narrow the possible reasons down?

Thanks!
Christoph