BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is backuppc with rsyncrypto instead rsync possible

2009-04-29 17:56:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is backuppc with rsyncrypto instead rsync possible
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:51:27 -0800
Matthias Meyer wrote:
> Chris Robertson wrote:
>

>> Matthias Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think about an encrypted backup and find rsyncrypto.
>>> Is there a BackupPC_dump support for rsyncrypto?
>>> Or any other way to use rsyncrypto with backuppc?
>>>

>>  From the looks of it, you would just run the rsyncrypto on the client
>> as a pre-backup command, and then backup the resulting (encrypted) files
>> using the rsync protocol.
>>

> Yes that's possible. But I need additional disk space on the client.
> rsyncrypto send modified parts of a file to the destination disk as well as
> rsync do.

Rsyncrypto doesn't seem to send the files directly.  From the tutorial
(http://www.linux.com/feature/125322) linked from the home page
(http://rsyncrypto.lingnu.com/index.php/Home_Page):

"rsyncrypto is designed to be used as a presync option to rsync. That
is, you first use rsyncrypto on the plain unencrypted files to obtain an
encrypted directory tree, and you then run rsync to send that encrypted
tree to a remote system."

The tag line on the Sourceforge page
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsyncrypto) states "rsync friendly file
encryption".  On that same page, the description states "A slightly
reduced strength bulk encryption. In exchange for the reduced strength,
you get the ability to rsync the encrypted files, so that local changes
in the plaintext file will result in (relatively) local changes to the
cyphertext file."

Perhaps you have a different source of information?

> So I am looking for a solution that backuppc can use this files.
>
> br
> Matthias

Chris