BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc + vista

2009-04-17 16:37:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc + vista
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:28:43 +0200
Cody Dunne wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> Mauro Condarelli wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for Your efforts.
>>
>> I *tried* to follow Your instructions about how to set up rsyncd for
>> wiVista backup...
>> but I failed miserably.
>>
>> Something is really wrong in the win setup. It seems to me I have
>> multiple(3) sshd servers active (or something similar).
>
> If you go run services.msc on the Vista box and look at the services,
> how many "CYGWIN sshd' entries do you have? Also, is sshd added to the
> firewall exceptions?
I see just one instance.
I also looked at the event log and they fail with:

sshd: PID xxx: fatal: fork of unprivileged child failed

Firewall has exceptions for both TCP and UDP.

>> If I try to connect to the win box (wotan:vista) from my backuppc
>> server (heimdall:ubuntu) I get the following pattern:
>>
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$ pwd
>> /var/lib/backuppc
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$ ssh wotan -p 47722
>> Connection closed by 192.168.0.2
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$ ssh wotan -p 47722
>> Connection closed by 192.168.0.2
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$ ssh wotan -p 47722
>> Last login: Sat Apr  4 18:44:35 2009 from heimdall.condarelli.it
>>

> What is 192.168.0.2 on your network? Is it wotan?
Yes.
heimdall is 192.68.0.5.

>> backuppc@Wotan ~
>> $ logout
>> Connection to wotan closed.
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$ ssh wotan -p 47722
>> Connection closed by 192.168.0.2
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$ ssh wotan -p 47722
>> Connection closed by 192.168.0.2
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$ ssh wotan -p 47722
>> Last login: Fri Apr 17 19:49:33 2009 from heimdall.condarelli.it
>>
>> backuppc@Wotan ~
>> $ logout
>> Connection to wotan closed.
>> backuppc@heimdall:~$
>>

>> Obviously something is *very* wrong.
>> Needless to say: nothing works.
>> Can You help me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Mauro
>>

> So you do get connected to wotan, it just takes three tries?
It is more randomic than that. Just now I tried again and I have about
one in two, but sometimes I get two good connections in a row.
Some days ago it was exactly one on and one off. I tried about 20 times,
but that doesn't hold anymore.
Now I got a streak of 6 good connections in a row...
... perhaps in a few days it will cure itself completely... :)

Tomorrow morning I will try again after another reboot and I will also
try backuppc.

> Also, you can reply on the mailing list so everyone can help or get
> answers later by searching.
Ok

> Cody
Thanks