BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why no files where transferred in this session?

2009-04-15 09:01:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why no files where transferred in this session?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:55:57 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hallo Matthias,
>
>> Whats happen after this sleep of 60 seconds? I would believe
>> that ssh stop the tunnel.
>> And than rsync read this EOF.
>
> Mmmhhh... Well, could it be that for some reason there has been a
> timeout greater than 60 seconds and *thus* the ssh tunnel shut down,
> while rsync was waiting for its timeout?

Ssh will keep a tunnel open as long as a tcp connection is open through
its tunnel.  But since your timeout expires in the first run, it will
exit when the first rsync completes and closes the connection.

>> I backup my vista client by starting the ssh tunnel from vista side:
>> /bin/nice -n 10 /bin/autossh -R <server-port>:localhost:22 -M
>> 0 -N -C -i /etc/ssh/id_rsa -p 22 user AT server.domain DOT at or
>> install it as a service via cygrunsrv.
>> The ssh tunnel is open the whole day and my server can
>> connect to the client whenever he want.
>
> Nice, but what happens if the SSH goes down? It is also my concern! :-/

Ssh is pretty robust, but if you have keys set up for passwordless
connections you could wrap it in a shell loop that runs it again if it
exits.