BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC, rsync and ssh

2009-04-08 03:33:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC, rsync and ssh
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>, BackupPC Users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:28:53 +0300
>>> What should I put in the $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} parameter?
>> Just keep the default, or add a -C for compression if you want.
> OK, as I've modified the default, could you please tell me what that
> command should be?
> And, two questions:
> 1) where should I be adding -C and how would this be affecting transfers
> over WAN?
> 2) what's the meaning of "+" sign at the end of $argList?

As I understand this client uses rsyncd, not rsync, then
$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} is not used. The -C would then serve you better in
the tunnel itself.

1) Put it next to the -f switch in $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd}.
2) Maybe something with variables... someone else may know better.

>>> do I have to set it? Is "rsync" the right choice? I guess yes, but
>>> please give me confirmation and eventually update your howto...
>>> ;-)
>> Actually it should be possible to use any protocol. However,
>> because of a bug that only now is being fixed, Windows
>> clients with SSH server and rsync have not been possible.
>> Instead, it is necessary to use SSH server and rsyncd, which
>
> I desume this is *indeed* the configuration I'm using: I do ssh from my
> Linux server to the Windows client, on which rsyncd is running. Do you
> confirm?

Yes, your command was: "ssh -f administrator AT remotehost DOT com -L
8875:127.0.0.1:873 sleep 10", indicating a rsyncd server running on the
client.

>> i assume? This is exactly the kind of setup my HOWTO is
>> designed for by default. "CLIENT"
>> in the HOWTO is then the same "127.0.0.1" as you are using
>> now. You should be able to start using BackupPC alongside
>> your current configuration, and complete the migration when
>> you are happy with the results.
>
> I'm still having troubles, but first I'd like to be sure of what
> RsyncClientCmd to use (and eventually also RsyncClientRestoreCmd). After
> you tell me about this, I'll be doing some more tests and get back to
> you, as long as you're willing to help me in this "journey" ;-)
>
> Many thanks so far!

No problem. If you use the CGI interface, then you will only have to
bother with those configurations which are relevant for your method. In
fact, for rsyncd, RsyncClientCmd is not visible at all. Instead, you can
think of the rsyncd method as 'integrated in BackupPC' and only concern
yourself with the host, port and files to be backed up.