BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie: full vs incremental backup

2008-10-09 05:16:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie: full vs incremental backup
From: Msquared <1.sub.backuppc AT msquared.id DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:34:42 +0800
On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 08:02:56AM -0400, Andrei Stebakov wrote:

> Now it looks like every incremental backup is not different from a full
> backup as it takes almost the same space on disk as a full backup. I
> thought it should only backup the delta...

I think that while a delta is backed up, BackupPC then uses hard links to
the files from the last backup in order to fill out the backup so that it
looks like a full copy.

I also think this is part of BackupPC's pooling mechanism.

For comparison, I theoretically have 1terabyte of data backed up, but it's
actually only consuming about 120-130gigabytes of storage on my backup
server, thanks to BackupPC's data pooling.

Regards, Msquared...