BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie: using a storage server different from BackupPC server

2008-10-07 14:20:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie: using a storage server different from BackupPC server
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:16:44 +0200
Hi,

Adam Goryachev wrote on 2008-10-07 12:05:53 +1100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie:
using a storage server different from BackupPC server]:
> Holger Parplies wrote:
> >
> > that doesn't really change anything, does it?
> >
> I think the point is that backing up to the same server has some
> dis-advantages.

sure. I agree with everything you say. What I was trying to point out was

a) top-posting makes messages incomprehensible.
b) if you run BackupPC on one server, there is absolutely no difference
   whether data is stored on the same server or on a "hidden, well protected
   Windoze machine". If you gain access to the BackupPC server, you gain
   access to the data in the backup, period (more or less). If your BackupPC
   server is identical to the host you are backing up, an attacker can take
   out both the original data and the backup. Well, you may be able to turn
   off the Windoze machine, if the attacker informs you of the attack in
   advance, but, to my knowledge, that is not customary.

I believe I succeeded neither in making point a nor point b clear. Perhaps I
shouldn't have top-posted.

Regards,
Holger