BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backuppc questions

2008-10-07 13:06:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backuppc questions
From: "Nick Smith" <nick.smith79 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:03:40 -0400
Ive been running backuppc for a couple weeks now with mixed results,
mainly network speed issues which really isnt backuppc's fault, but
ive come up with some questions along the way.

what happens when a backup hasnt finished by the blackout period of
the next day?

how come when i start a full backup on a machine that runs overnight
and hasnt finished
in the morning yet, it says i have 1 incr backup when it hasnt
finished the first full backup yet?
this is the first time the machine has been backed up, no prior full
backups complete.
how does it get an incr backup with no full backup? it has nothing to
compare to.....

$Conf{BackupPCNightlyPeriod} = 1
"how many days it takes to traverse the entire pool", what does this
mean? how many days it takes to complete a backup? or is this for file
verification purposes?  I run scripts to create a VS of an entire
drive which i backup instead of the actual drive, would this screw
things up if i split it into days?  this one particular client has a
large 12 gig SQL DB that is taking forever to backup, ive had to bump
up the timeout period and start over, im hoping it completes in the
next couple days. (backing up over internet)

Does anyone here use hamachi?  what is the free versions bandwidth
speed?  I seem to only be getting about 90KB incoming and we are both
on fast cable connections.  Does anyone know what the speed is on the
commercial version? Is it faster? Ive got a ticket submitted to
logmein right now, but id like some info from people that use it for
backups.

I am backing up over the internet, and the big backups are taking alot
longer than i expected, am i going about it the correct way?  what is
the recommended way to backup large amounts of data over the internet?
 currently, i use this method http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=62 it
works great, dont have to install rsync, it launches the VS to make a
shadow of the drive and then backs it up, and cleans up when its
complete.  Its just that the backups are almost to the 100's of
gigabytes, so its taking an extreme amount of time.  Im assuming that
once i get the first full backup the incr ones will go much faster.  I
am hoping anyway.

It doesnt seem to be affecting the clients server performance to have
the backup still going during the day, but at this rate it seems like
its going to take over a week per client to backup. which seems a bit
long to me.  Im only doing one backup at a time to try and make it go
faster, it just seems like there is a bottleneck somewhere.

thanks for any advice you can give.

--
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not
worth paying for.