BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup PC and backup progress

2008-10-07 11:59:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup PC and backup progress
From: Seann Clark <nombrandue AT tsukinokage DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:10:50 -0500
All,

    I am new to the list and rather new to BackupPC. So far I have had
good experience with the program, and like what I see so far with using
it. The backups are easy, and I have in mind to tune it in with AMANDA
to tape backup the old archives, but I haven't gotten that far with that
portion yet, since I am still working on total size I need for my
network. I am wondering if anyone has any other idea's on a physical
storage medium that is used. I am sure DVD's, CD's and maybe Blueray
(expensive still but 25GB a single layer disc isn't bad for a backup).

    Another question I have is is there any good way to have a backup
progress estimate so I know what the status of the backup is. This would
be handy for systems (like my laptop) that don't seem to backup, but yet
the backup still is marked as 'in progress' for days, even if the laptop
is powered off. I haven't ready anything about fail thresholding, and
since I am using SMB for the laptops, I am sure I could get a file
count, and then base off the file count a basic estimate of progress.
Has anyone tried this with the program?

    I have scoured the WIKI for tricks and tips like these, but alas,
haven't found them yet. Any feedback would be appreciated.

~Seann