BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Script for managing mdadm add/removes

2008-10-06 20:14:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Script for managing mdadm add/removes
From: Kim Pedersen <kim AT cncsltd DOT com>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:40:41 -0400
Hi everyone,

I have been following the discussions about using Linux md raid1 as a
way of creating an offline copy of the pool filesystem, which method Les
Mikesell seems to be a big proponent of.

I am about to try it out myself on an installation, where users will
connect an external harddrive to the BackupPC server and sync the drive
to the raid1 array using mdadm, and later disconnect it again for
offline/offsite storage.

As this is something that will happen on a regular basis, I am looking
to automate it as much as practical (and possible) by writing a script
for the umount/fail/remove and recognition of the external drives.

Might there be someone on the list who have taken a shot at this already
and be willing to share the code to get me jump started?

Regards,

Kim Pedersen