BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] zfs + nexenta/freebsd

2008-10-04 19:44:33
Subject: [BackupPC-users] zfs + nexenta/freebsd
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:18:50 -0600
just an FYI for those curious about ZFS and backuppc

Nexenta 2 alpha is available for download.  It is based on ubuntu 8.04.  Backuppc3 is available in the repos and backuppc3.1 is installable from debian etch.  The only issue is that there are some broken dependancies with samba so I had to built some of the samba deps from deb-src.  Of coarse this should be corrected soon when it goes beta or rc.

Worth a look though.

Also, a freebsd 7 + zfs (and some kernel tuning) is a nice little combo.  pretty easy if you follow the LAMP/FAMP guide for freebsd 7 on unix-tutorials.com and install the proper CPAN stuff.  just install freebsd7 minimal then `portsnap fetch extract`.  remember, you MUST tune the kernel for ZFS and must have 1GB+ RAM for the ZFS/rsync combo.  Best get 2GB of ram.

Nexenta is nice as it is ubuntu on opensolaris so its super simple to manage.  I have getting into freebsd recently and it is amazingly lightweight and stable.