BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup through slow line?

2008-10-02 09:03:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup through slow line?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:00:20 -0500
Christian Völker wrote:
> Waking up this thread :)
>
> Ok, we discovered (and meanwhile I saw it on my systems) when doing
> backuo with rsync the first full backup will take several days until
> finished.
>
> Once this is done, every following backup consumes much less bandwith,
> so it succeeds within 24hours.
>
> But what happens to a Windows machine backed up through this line with
> smb? As there is no rsync involved may I assume every full backup needs
> this amount of time?
> And does the smb transfer option start at the last failed backup again
> (just like rsync does)?

No, smb has no way to tell what part of a incomplete backup is good so
it will have to start over every time and probably never succeed.  And
subsequent full runs also need to transfer the complete content.  If you
don't have enough bandwidth, the best approach for windows would be to
install cygwin rsync in daemon mode and use the rsyncd method in backuppc.