BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Question regarding BackupPC_tarPCCopy

2008-09-11 17:58:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Question regarding BackupPC_tarPCCopy
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Hendrik Friedel <hen_mail AT web DOT de>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:57:08 +0200
Hi,

Hendrik Friedel wrote on 2008-09-11 23:34:30 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Question regarding BackupPC_tarPCCopy]:
> >screen
> >
> >then run command
> >
> >when it is running, do a Ctrl-A then D  which will disconnect that screen.
> >
> >to get back to it, do
> >screen -R
>
> That's not exactly what I need.

I believe it is.

> After starting the task, I end my ssh connection.

Right. That is where screen comes in. Unless you have more output than
screen's buffer will keep (see the '-h' flag to change that).

> After some hours, I want to see the output of the task.

The good thing about screen is that you immediately see if the task is still
running and if and with which error it finished.

> For some
> reason, piping it to a logfile does not work. So how can I write a logfile?

You need to redirect stderr ...

        % command >& /some/file

... or in case you really mean "piping" ...

        bash% command 2>&1 | second_command
        csh%  command |& second_command

Regards,
Holger